Thursday, December 2, 2010

Assignment # 5- Blog Entry # 1 Female Infanciticide

While the original topic of my final essay was affirmative action, I have instead chosen to explore the issue of female infanticide. In Black Social Movements class, we discussed the great contributions of women throughout society and the lack of appreciation for their efforts due to gender bias. In Sonia Nazario's presentation she discusses the global effects of immigration and it's influence on the relationship between mothers and children. For this essay, I have chosen to focus instead on the issue of female infanticide. I wanted to gain a better understanding of how son preference inadvertently contributes to the devaluation of women worldwide. Though I have chosen to focus primarily on its prevalence in India,I find that my conclusions can be applied to the objectification of women in the U.S. Female infanticide is a complicated issue. While it may be condoned throughout many Indian communities it is looked down upon by much of the Western society. I want to explore the reasons why women feel pressured to partake in this practice and what the social force are.
http://www.bloggersbase.com/love-and-relationships/female-infanticide-killing-of-girls-love/

No comments:

Post a Comment