Monday, September 20, 2010

"Social Network Activism"

Social networks such as Myspace and Facebook often allow people to connect and share important news.Though some remain skeptical about their use in social activism it can be noted that the groups or pages formed often attract large numbers and allow people to connect faster and easier. For many years, I myself strayed away from using such networks due to the negative stigmas attached to them as many warned that schools and companies had begun checking profiles to ensure students and employees, respectively displayed discretion in and out of the workplace. However, after creating a Facebook and connecting with friends and relatives whom I had not spoken to in years, I find that these networks can be quite beneficial.


In regard to the activism taking place on these networks, I feel that some may prove more effective than others.Receiving requests from groups promoting a "Greener" world and helping the children of Darfur, I feel that each page offers something different but it is up to me to determine if I would like to take part in these movements. A social movement requires a redistribution of power from an oppressive, more powerful group to another. This process cannot occur overnight with the click of a button it requires hard work and dedication. I have not been compelled to continue to my work outside of signing petitions and donating money.

Personally, I have been more involved within groups calling for face-to-face interaction.I feel that being surrounded by people who are passionate and informed about a issue inspires me to do the same.Staring at a computer screen doesn't produce the same effect.Though these networks can be effective tools for promoting events, attracting followers, raising awareness and collecting donations. I feel they should continue to be used as a "tool" and not replace hands on involvement.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I feel a lot more inclined to get involved with a cause or a group if I know I'll be dealing with others face to face that are just as passionate about something as I am. I think that social networking is more effective in getting the awareness out there, but it's really up to the individual to reach further than the computer screen.

    ReplyDelete